Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dad’s Day

Happy Dad’s Day to all the dads I know!!! Rowan and I have been busy getting a couple gifts together for Rich. We (I) put together a shadow box to remember Bo, Rich’s dog (a.k.a. his ‘son’) who passed away a couple years ago. Twelve great years with a best friend that always loves to see you, even when you’re crabby. We miss you Bo!!
Rowan and I are also planning on making dinner for pops, of his choosing.
We had inquired about a lawn mower listed in the classifieds and yesterday went to inspect. OMG. Suffice to say, we came home with a verrrrry clean, excellently conditioned Troy-Built w/ instruction manual still in the plastic folder for a song. As we drove home, I noticed the slight smell of gas, oil, and cut grass mixed together and immediately thought of my dad and all the summers working together mowing lawns. Strangely enough, it’s one of the best smells in the world to me, kinda like fishy hands in 50 First Dates.

Here’s some things I love about my dad:
He’s largely responsible for my love of plants and gardens; landscaping and chocolate; garage sale-ing and campfires.
He’s goofy.
He’s sentimental.
He’s strong enough to turn his life around from a crazy downward spiral into a positive and upstanding existence.
He’s entrepreneurial enough to start his own business, again and again trying new ideas/professions.
He inspires me to seek out my dreams and try new thoughts, new foods, new paths, and to get up and brush myself off and try again.
He can’t hardly stand keeping a surprise a secret, the way he flutters around until the reveal is so funny!! Just like a four-year-old!!!
Some of his words of wisdom that I’ve adopted include “Everything in moderation,” and “When you think you have it bad just remember that someone out there has is worse,” and “If you fall flat on your face, at least you know you had the courage to try,” and “Do your best.” Or something to those effects.
If I ever need a pick-me-up, my dad’s always there with encouragement.

When I think of my dad I conjure up:
his clock that has the coil and hammer in the back
blue spruce trees
crossword puzzles
odd smells
dad singing loudly and off key while perched on a lawn mower
wiggling feet propped up in a recliner
spices, spices, spices
spaghetti sauce, spare ribs, and butter pecan ice cream
volumes of scholarly books
garage sales
tinkering/fixing things with paint, oil, or grease, or anything that smells along those lines
going out in a boat. Any boat—rowboat, pontoon, motorboat.
watching dad rototill the garden, then making holes for seeds with a stick and helping to plant all the babies
Gee Farms
Japanese maples
Lily of the Valley bells “ringing”

Happy Father’s Day Dad! I love you!!! xoxoxo

Rowan’s menu plan for the day:
green smoothie—fresh parsley, kelp, orange, apple, banana, coconut water
mangos
hemp or nutmilk w/ flax oil, sea salt, honey
mix salad with fresh what-have-yous from the garden
avocado w/ chia
flax ka-krs
cashew ‘cheese’cake with strawberries, blueberries, coconut, date-pecan crust
cantaloupe
anything else she might want

Enjoy your day! Call your dad or spend a few minutes thinking about or remembering him!!

~Sharilyn

No comments: