Thursday, July 16, 2009

In The Kitchen



Today I made a couple things I’ve been wanting to try for a while: herb crackers and blueberry pancakes from Matt Kenney’s book Everyday Raw. Yesterday I made raw chocolate crunch, and a carrot salad from Living Cuisine by Reneé I can’t remember her last name . . . Hoezelkoffer???? . . . and in the next few days I’m planning on making Raspberry Almond Granola and Candied Nuts (Everyday Raw), turtle brownies (my own recipe), Raspberry Almond Thumbprints (Living Cuisine), garlic-corn chips, salsa & sour cream, and more crackers or cookies depending on what kind of nut pulp I have in the next few days. I’ve found that it works perfectly for us to make crackers or cookies with our nutmilk pulp every couple of days. Hopefully when I’m done with everything there’ll be enough snacks and treats to last a while as Tristen is arriving home in a day or two. And I want to use as many raspberries as I can since they’re free and abundant right now. I’ll hopefully have enough extra to store in the fridge or freezer to keep on hand for a while. We’ll see. Two growing kids . . . .


Today Ro-Ro ate:

vanilla hazelnut milk

banana

raisins

pine nuts

pecans

raw pancake batter with blueberries

a small piece of raw chocolate-buckwheat crunch

¼ of a huge watermelon

carrot-walnut-parsley-raisin salad

banana-hazelnut milk

munched some green beans and rosemary in the garden

herb hazelnut crackers—made from the nut pulp this morning


~~~Sharilyn


DID YOU KNOW: Greens like spinach and kale contain more calcium than cow’s milk, which is actually fortified with calcium, vitamin A, and vitamin D since it doesn’t have much on it’s own. (Perhaps the American Dairy Association had a hand in the propaganda supporting the idea that you need to “drink your milk” to get your calcium.)



And: 50% of the calories in spinach come from protein. 50%!!!


No comments: