Thursday, February 26, 2009

Tapping our Maple Trees


The maple sap collection operation is up—we’ll see if it’s running by the end of the day or not. I couldn’t find stiles ANYwhere, so we ended up making our own. After a little more reading, I decided that we would try the elderberry method. I made sure to remove the bark and cambium layer where the sap would run across, as this is where more of the toxins are. I figure if the pioneers did it this way and we’re all here, we can try it too. Maybe not the smartest thing to do in the world, but I’m doing it anyway. Que se ra se ra. Here I used water jugs and some ribbon to hold them on until I can find my wire. The other tree has washed out 2-liter bottles on it. ~giggle~ it looks funny. Yesterday was over 40* and back down to 30* at night, so it’s perfect sap flowing weather. Now I need to scramble to find a 5 gal minimum fire proof pan to boil the sap down in because every bit of info i've found about boiling sap says do it outside unless you want a sticky mess on your ceiling and walls!

Rowan ate:
banana almond milk
cereal: buckwheat, figs, raisins, banana slices, goji berries w/ almond milk
oranges
red grapes
cherry tomatoes with chia seeds
cuc and onion salad
green smoothie w/ pineapple, banana, coconut water, parsley

Sweeness to you,

~Sharilyn

No comments: