Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Sap???

Well it’s finally started to warm up . . . so where’s the sap?? Supposedly, sap starts to really flow when days are above freezing and nights are below. It’s been 40* or so during the day, but only one tree is giving any sap—and verrry little at that. Maybe there’ll be enough by the end of the week to actually boil, but I’m not going to waste my time with only a cup of sap. Did you know it takes 40 gallons of sap to equal 1 gallon of syrup? I’ve probally mentioned it B4. That’s if you tap a sugar or black maple. It takes about 100 gallons of hickory or walnut sap to get 1 gallon of syrup. That’s what I’d call a labor of love. Still, I wonder what walnut sap would taste like . . ??

Happy birthday to my sweetie, my love, my partner in life and crime. Rich has made it around the sun 36 times this lifetime. No thrills this year, he didn't want any. But Happy Birthday just the same baby.

Today the kids ate:
cereal (pumpkin seeds, pecans, walnuts, sunny seeds) with strawberries, stevia, and banana-almond milk
fruit medley: strawberries, apples, bananas, grapes
celery chips
salad: leaf lettuce with carrots, cukes, corn, sunny seeds, figs, w/ ACV dressing
grapes
carob almond milk

~Sharilyn

3 comments:

Mary Dunn said...

Sap is a funny thing! Some days it just seems like the sap will be flowing and then you go out and check and nada, nothing. Other days you think you won't need to collect and there's a ton!
Yes it's true that you need warmer (above 32degrees F) days and cooler (below 32 degrees F) nights...but it doesn't always work out that way.
We were late this year. First sap flow didn't occur until March 8th. And it's been very sporadic and inconsistent. I'm getting a sense it's going to be a short and not so productive year.
I'm wondering about the fact that you are tapping a black maple....hummm... It sounds like you definitely drilled far enough in to the tree. I've never used elderberry twigs for spires but I've read about them. I don't think they are the problem.
I see on your blog that there is no snow in your area. I wonder if you're past the height of your season? Are your trees budding yet? Season ends when buds begin to open. Is there any sap dripping down the tree where you drilled?
I would suggest you just wait and keep your fingers crossed. If it doesn't work this year try again next year. I've had some years where I get 4 gallons of syrup and some years where I barely get a gallon. Nature is a funny thing and it doesn't like being manipulated. Again, you just have to sit back and go with it.
Good luck!! And keep me posted.
PS - Love the pics on your blog :)

Rowan said...

Thanks for the info! That really helps. I've just been so excited to make syrup for the first time, but a reminder to chill is just what I need. Nature does work at his/her own pace.

Mary Dunn said...

I'd love to hear how it goes. Keep me posted and yell if you need any help.
Mary