Monday, March 16, 2009

Goin' With the Flow

Well, the sap has started . . . on only one of the two trees!!???? And not just a little--I got over a gallon yesterday, and today at 1pm I collected another 1/2-3/4 of a gallon. Tree number 2--Nada. Go figure. Last week we were able to get all of two cups, which I boiled down to about a tablespoon of syrup. We just did it on the stove as there really wasn't much, just to see!

I think we'll have to give the trees names, maybe after seeing what else they do. Any suggestions? I love both of them--I even thanked the 1st for the sap and gave words of encouragement to the other. Neither are budding yet, but I expect it won't be long as today is in the 60's and climbing. (Yeah!) I've been aching to start another fast, but haven't wanted to during the freezing temps. (If you aren't familiar with fasting, you become much colder during a fast.) My body's been screaming to clean house so I can't wait.

Rowan's up to her terrible two behavior again--I think she'll probably mellow out now that spring has arrived and we'll be outside quite a bit more. We gotst babies to plant!! Lots-o-babies!! More to be planted and beds to prepare for peas and beans and cool weather veggies.

Tris was excited to see the first two cups of sap boiled down. We all stuck our fingers in for a taste, then Tris dipped strawberries in the remaining. Happy as a lark!

I'll be taking some pics soon, and will post 'em too.

So far today (1pm) Rowan's eaten:
Cashew milk
bananas--3 of them at once!
strawberry shortcake
salad from mama's bowl--celery, cuke, tommy, romaine, carrots, sunny seeds, fresh herbs
strawberry-lemonade
down for a nap!

Hugs!
~Sharilyn, Tris, and Ro-Ro

No comments: